Chocolate-Caramel Pecan Squares
In the South, they have a knack for taking something great and making it taste even better! Chocolate-Caramel Pecan Squares show they do it with their native favorite: pecans.
What You'll Need:
12 double graham crackers
2 (7-ounce) packages chocolate-covered caramel candies (about 50 pieces)
cup heavy cream
cups coarsely chopped pecans, lightly toasted
What To Do:
- Completely cover the bottom of a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet with graham crackers; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat and stir candies and cream over low heat, until candies melt. Spread chocolate mixture over graham crackers; quickly sprinkle with nuts, gently pressing them into chocolate.
- Cool 10 to 15 minutes then cut into bars or break into chunks like brittle. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- If you don't buy the pecans already toasted, it's easy to do it yourself: Spread out the pecans on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F. just until lightly browned. (Keep an eye on them, 'cause it doesn't take too long!)
- You can use walnuts or peanuts...whatever your gang likes. And if you use peanuts, how about throwing on a few peanut butter morsels with the nuts?
- You can also prepare this in the microwave by placing the candies and cream in a glass bowl, and microwaving it at 30 percent power for 2 to 4 minutes, stirring well after each minute. When the mixture is smooth, just spread it over the crackers and continue as above.
- For a different serving idea, microwave the finished bars for 5 to 10 seconds right before serving and you'll have a warm, soft treat (but don't overcook!).
07 29 12