Sauerbraten with Ginger Gravy
- COOK TIME
- 45 Min
- READY IN
- 45 Min
Sounds German, huh? This seemed to turn up over and over in my conversations with people from all over the South. Originally Southern or not, it's served there a lot now...and it's really tasty!
What You'll Need:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 (1 to 1½ pounds total) beef cubed steaks
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) jar brown gravy
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
cup coarsely crushed gingersnap cookies
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
cup sour cream
What To Do:
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the cubed steaks, onion, salt, and pepper and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the steaks are browned on both sides.
- Stir in the gravy, vinegar, water, cookie crumbs, and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the steak is tender.
- Stir in the sour cream and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until well blended and heated through. Serve immediately.
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
01 23 14