These biscuits are worth the effort to make them from scratch.
What You'll Need:
4 teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
cup butter-flavored or other shortening
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 6 equal pieces
cups all-purpose flour plus extra for working the dough
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening and butter, using a fork or pastry cutter, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Let dough sit 1 minute, then transfer it to lightly floured work surface. Lightly dust top of dough with flour and roll out to 1/2-inch thickness with a rolling pin.
- Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter (dip cutter in flour before cutting each biscuit, to prevent sticking.)
- Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes, or just until they begin to turn golden. Remove from baking sheets and serve warm.
Your Recently Viewed Recipes