These biscuits are worth the effort to make them from scratch.
What You'll Need:
4 teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
cup butter-flavored or other shortening
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 6 equal pieces
cups all-purpose flour plus extra for working the dough
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening and butter, using a fork or pastry cutter, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Let dough sit 1 minute, then transfer it to lightly floured work surface. Lightly dust top of dough with flour and roll out to 1/2-inch thickness with a rolling pin.
- Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter (dip cutter in flour before cutting each biscuit, to prevent sticking.)
- Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes, or just until they begin to turn golden. Remove from baking sheets and serve warm.