We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- COOK TIME
- 45 Min
This Americana classic first made its way across the South before making its way across the country. Once you give this Spoon Bread a try, we're sure it will make its way around your circle of friends and family, too.
What You'll Need:
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and water; simmer over medium-low heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cornmeal, butter, sugar, and salt; stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until the mixture is thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and baking powder until very light and fluffy. Stir in the cornmeal mixture; mix well then spoon into the baking dish.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top is golden. Serve hot.
Courtesy of Christiana Campbell's Tavern, Colonial Williamsburg.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Bake up a little bit of fall flavor with our recipe for Upside Down Pear Cake. This cake is beautiful enough to serve for any special occasion, and easy enough to make when you've got cravings for fall favorites. It's got an ooey-gooey and crunchy topping that's unbelievably good!