Sweet Wheat Bread
- 3 large loaves
- COOK TIME
- 35 Min
- READY IN
- 35 Min
Nothing is more wholesome than baking your own bread in a bread machine. This prize-winning Sweet Wheat Bread recipe rises to the occasion and is versatile enough to be used for dinner rolls, cinnamon bread and novelty shaped breads, too.
What You'll Need:
- 2 (1/4-ounce) packages Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Yeast
cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups 2% milk
cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup light agave nectar
- 2 cups bread flour (we used King Arthur)
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour, divided (we used King Arthur)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg plus 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
What To Do:
- In a mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar; let stand 10 minutes.
- Scald milk; add butter, shortening, salt, and agave nectar. Cool to lukewarm. Stir into yeast mixture.
- Beat in the bread flour, 3 cups white whole wheat flour, and 4 eggs; mix 2 minutes on medium speed with paddle attachment.
- Using dough hook, gradually add enough of remaining white whole wheat flour to make soft dough. Knead dough 8 to 10 minutes by hand or with dough hook, until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease entire surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled (1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down. Divide dough into 9 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a 16- to 17-inch rope. Place 3 ropes parallel to each other, pinching them at the top and loosely braiding, then pinching the ends and turning to seal ends under loaf. Place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ropes. (You will have 3 braided ropes.)
- Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled. Whisk together remaining egg and 1 tablespoon water; carefully brush on loaves making sure to cover entire surface.
- Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes, covering loosely with foil for the last 10 to 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- This recipe can be used for dinner rolls, cinnamon bread, and shaped breads (like Santa Claus).
- Test Kitchen Tip: To prevent the bottom crust from overbrowning, after 20 minutes of baking, place a second baking sheet under the baking sheet with the breads and cook that way until done.
For more scrumptious Festival of Breads Contest-winning bread recipes, try Quick Raisin Granola Breakfast Rolls, Apple Cider Cranberry Bread, and Fruit of the Vine and Rosemary Olive Oil Snack Bread with Pine Nuts.
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES