Tomato and Basil Bread
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This winning recipe from the National Festival of Breads will be a winner at your house. It's a hearty home-baked wheat bread thats chock full of rich sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil, that will fill your kitchen with mouthwatering aromas.
What You'll Need:
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 5.5 cups unbleached bread flour (we tested with King Arthur)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- 2/3 cup chopped basil
- 1 (8.5-ounce) jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, well drained and finely chopped
What To Do:
- Place warm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add milk, oil, yeast mixture, eggs, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough of the flour to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface or with a dough hook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough; divide in half. Using a rolling pin, roll one piece into a 22 x 8-1/2-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with half the garlic powder, cheese, basil, and tomatoes. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll fashion. Pinch edges to seal. Place roll seam-side down on baking sheet. With kitchen shears, cut lengthwise down center of roll, about 1 inch deep, to within 1/2 inch of ends. Keeping seam-side down, form an “S” shape. Tuck both ends under center of “S” to form a connected “figure eight”; pinch ends to seal.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 to 60 minutes, until doubled in size. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Bake first loaf in a preheated 350 degree F. oven 35 to 40 minutes. Tent loaf with foil after 15 to 20 minutes to prevent over-browning. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack. Bake remaining loaf.
Makes 2 loaves.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Whip up our easy Icebox Salad the next time you've got company coming over and get ready to take in all the "oohs" and "aahs." This make-ahead, layered salad is both pretty and delicious. It's the all-American, hearty salad that everyone grew up eating, but in a party-size form!