Tomato and Basil Bread
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- COOK TIME
- 35 Min
This winning recipe from the National Festival of Breads will be a winner at your house. It's a hearty home-baked wheat bread thats chock full of rich sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil, that will fill your kitchen with mouthwatering aromas.
What You'll Need:
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 5.5 cups unbleached bread flour (we tested with King Arthur)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- 2/3 cup chopped basil
- 1 (8.5-ounce) jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, well drained and finely chopped
What To Do:
- Place warm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add milk, oil, yeast mixture, eggs, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough of the flour to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface or with a dough hook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough; divide in half. Using a rolling pin, roll one piece into a 22 x 8-1/2-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with half the garlic powder, cheese, basil, and tomatoes. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll fashion. Pinch edges to seal. Place roll seam-side down on baking sheet. With kitchen shears, cut lengthwise down center of roll, about 1 inch deep, to within 1/2 inch of ends. Keeping seam-side down, form an “S” shape. Tuck both ends under center of “S” to form a connected “figure eight”; pinch ends to seal.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 to 60 minutes, until doubled in size. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Bake first loaf in a preheated 350 degree F. oven 35 to 40 minutes. Tent loaf with foil after 15 to 20 minutes to prevent over-browning. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack. Bake remaining loaf.
Makes 2 loaves.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
With our recipe for 1 Minute Cinnamon Bun you can enjoy a cinnamon bun for breakfast, dessert, or anytime you want! All you need is a microwave, some easy ingredients from your pantry, and your favorite mug. Before you know it, you'll be enjoying a cinnamon bun that's all your own.