Speckled Blonde Brownies
- 24 brownies
- COOK TIME
- 30 Min
Don't let the light color fool you. Our Speckled Blonde Brownies are heavy-hitters, just like their chocolate counterparts.
What You'll Need:
cup vegetable shortening
2 cups light brown sugar
2 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (see Options)
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt shortening in microwave in a small microwave-safe bowl (or on the stovetop in a small saucepan); let cool slightly.
- Transfer to a large bowl when cool; add the light brown sugar, hot water, eggs, and vanilla; blend well. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until thoroughly mixed.
- In a small bowl, combine nuts and chocolate chips; reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture and stir the rest into the batter, mixing evenly.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle top with the reserved 1/2 cup chocolate chip mixture. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Have fun with this and try substituting either butterscotch or peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips. Mmm...
11 02 14