Another delicious way to use those apples that'll have everybody coming back for more. (No, you don't have to stand on your head to make it!)
1 hr 10 min
What You'll Need:
3 tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup apple cider or juice plus extra for cake mix
cup (5-1/2 tablespoons) butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
10 to 12 maraschino cherries, cut in half
cup chopped walnuts
1 (18.25-ounce) package spice cake mix
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- X 13-inch baking with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, simmer sliced apples in 1 cup cider for about 5 minutes, or just until tender. Drain, reserving apple cider. Combine 2 tablespoons reserved, warm cider with butter and brown sugar in prepared baking pan.
- Bake 5 minutes; remove from oven and stir mixture. Arrange apple slices and cherry halves in brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle with walnuts; set aside.
- Prepare cake mix, substituting apple cider for water that is called for in package directions. Pour batter into pan over sugar-nut mixture.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and invert on a serving platter; let stand about 1 minute, then remove pan. (Rearrange apple slices and cherries, if necessary.) Serve warm.
This is great as is or served with some whipped topping.