Apple Upside-Down Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Another delicious way to use those apples that'll have everybody coming back for more. (No, you don't have to stand on your head to make it!)
What You'll Need:
- 3 tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup apple cider or juice plus extra for cake mix
- 1/3 cup (5-1/2 tablespoons) butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 10 to 12 maraschino cherries, cut in half
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package spice cake mix
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- X 13-inch baking with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, simmer sliced apples in 1 cup cider for about 5 minutes, or just until tender. Drain, reserving apple cider. Combine 2 tablespoons reserved, warm cider with butter and brown sugar in prepared baking pan.
- Bake 5 minutes; remove from oven and stir mixture. Arrange apple slices and cherry halves in brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle with walnuts; set aside.
- Prepare cake mix, substituting apple cider for water that is called for in package directions. Pour batter into pan over sugar-nut mixture.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and invert on a serving platter; let stand about 1 minute, then remove pan. (Rearrange apple slices and cherries, if necessary.) Serve warm.
This is great as is or served with some whipped topping.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Make room burritos, 'cause there's a new contender in town, and they're going by the name of Tex-Mex Hand Pies! These creamy hand pies are stuffed full of Tex-Mex favorites like salsa, chicken and lots of creamy cheese. You're going to wish you had more hands.