Chocolate Polka Dot Cake
- COOK TIME
- 40 Min
- READY IN
- 40 Min
If the name of the cake alone doesn't get 'em, then the sinfully rich chocolate taste will! And the whimsical polka dot pattern on our Chocolate Polka Dot Cake makes it a great cake to display on any dessert table!
What You'll Need:
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 cup water
cup chocolate-flavored syrup
cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
cup (1 stick) butter, softened
cup plus teaspoon vegetable shortening
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, chocolate syrup, oil, and eggs until well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips then pour batter into pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Frost the cake. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt remaining chocolate chips and vegetable shortening , stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly, then dip the tip of a wooden spoon handle into the melted chocolate and make chocolate polka dots at intervals around the cake. Let chocolate harden then serve, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
03 28 14
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Hot Cross Buns are one sweet Easter tradition. Our easy recipe for baking your own bakery-style Cranberry Hot Cross Buns is a twist on the traditional raisin variety, and guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.