Holiday Sponge Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 20 Min
- COOK TIME
- 1 Hr
- READY IN
- 1 Hr 20 Min
Here's a holiday classic, but it's enjoyed at any time of the year. This five-ingredient dessert recipe for Holiday Sponge Cake will take you back to Christmas dinner at Grandma's house. This old-fashioned favorite is a baking classic you'll return to time and time again.
What You'll Need:
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 10-inch tube pan with wax paper.
- In a large bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat the egg yolks for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue beating until thickened. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice; mix well. With a rubber spatula, fold in the flour 1/3 cup at a time; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat the egg whites until foamy and loose peaks form. Add the remaining sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the yolk mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour, until the top is golden and springs back when touched lightly.
- Invert the pan onto a wire rack for 1 hour to cool completely, then serve.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.