Texas Sheet Cake
- COOK TIME
- 30 Min
- READY IN
- 30 Min
What You'll Need:
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup water
cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, combine 2 sticks butter, water, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder; cook over low heat until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pour into a large heat-resistant bowl to cool. Add flour, granulated sugar, eggs, sour cream, baking soda and salt; beat until well combined then pour into a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean; set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan, make frosting by melting the 1/4 cup butter with milk and the remaining cocoa powder over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; mix well then frost cooled cake.
If you want to fancy this up a bit, sprinkle the frosting with crushed chocolate sandwich cookies, broken-up pieces of your favorite chocolate candy bar, or Texas-sized whole shelled walnuts!
And if you're feeding a crowd, you may also want to bake up a batch of our popular Chocolate Chunk Cookies.
Not feeling this chocolate version? Don't worry—we've got a white cake version too with our White Texas Sheet Cake.
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES