With so many ways to make chicken, you may have overlooked easy chicken casserole recipes! We've included helpful tips and tricks on how to make a great casserole, as well as a list of our favorite chicken casserole recipes.
Chicken casseroles seem easy in theory but even the most seasoned one-dish cook can benefit from these helpful tips and tricks. Follow our guide and you'll have the best chicken casserole every time!
- To get a crispy top to your casserole, cook it uncovered. For an even crispier and flavorful crust, sprinkle the top of any casserole with cheese, bread crumbs, and herbs.
- For casseroles that take a longer time to cook, use dried herbs instead of fresh herbs. These will maintain their flavor longer under intense heat.
- If you're not sure how much your pan can hold, measure out water and pour it in to test it. It's an easy way to test its volume without guesswork.
- If you have to use a pan that doesn't fit the size required for the recipe, then adjust cooking time. If it is shallower, reduce cooking time by 25%, if it is deeper, increase by 25%.
- Casseroles taste best when made in advance so let them sit to really have those flavors meld.
- To test a casserole for doneness, insert a wooden skewer or knife into the center. If it is hot to the touch then the whole casserole is hot.
- Casserole leftovers are best if defrosted for a whole day in the fridge before cooking again.
Chicken casseroles are unanimous crowd-pleasers because chicken works so well with a variety of different foods: rice, vegetables, noodles, cheese, and so much more. Check out our list of the top 10 chicken casseroles, sure to become family favorites you can bake again and again.
- Golden Chicken Casserole - It's good to keep biscuit baking mix on hand for stretching our food budgets and making the most of leftovers. Take this dish...with leftover chicken and some Cheddar cheese, we'll have a golden-crusted meal fit for a king!
- Souped Up Chicken and Rice - Mr. Food has traveled quite a bit and found that practically everyone has their own special chicken and rice dish. The secret to this one? It's "soup-er"!
- Creamy Chicken Casserole - We've gotta tell you - Southern-style casseroles are the tastiest. Just give this Creamy Chicken Casserole a try and you'll see why we say that!
- Asian Baked Chicken Salad - Are you ready for a change from traditional lunch salads? We bet our Asian Baked Chicken Salad will be a welcome change.
- Chicken Tetrazzini - This creamy, cheesy, fancy-sounding Italian chicken dish goes together in a jiffy because it calls for cooked rotisserie chicken.
- Classic Scalloped Chicken - Scalloped dishes are hearty and soul-soothing, typically baked in a sauce and covered with seasoned bread crumbs. Our Classic Scalloped Chicken bakes up as a comforting all-in-one main-dish meal.
- Chicken Salad Bake - Heat up a deli favorite with Chicken Salad Bake. Nothing is more comforting than chicken salad like Mom used to make except...warm chicken salad like Mom used to make!
- Slow Cooked Chicken 'n' Rice - This creamy chicken and rice casserole is a hearty one-pot casserole that'll make your evening easy, and tasty, too. Make it tonight.
- Chicken Pasta Bake - This cheesy all-in-one chicken casserole dish literally shouts “comfort!” It makes use of ingredients you can easily keep on hand so you can always be ready to throw together this hearty meal.
- Casserole Chicken Pot Pie - For a Mexican chicken casserole, try this recipe from Jo Ann in our test kitchen. She shared her family's favorite chicken casserole recipe and it's now a favorite of ours, too!
And don't stop at casseroles -- we've got lots more chicken dishes for you to try!