Classic Fried Chicken
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 20 Min
- COOK TIME
- 40 Min
- READY IN
- 1 Hr
What's the secret ingredient that makes our Classic Fried Chicken recipe so incredibly moist and flavorful? It's the buttermilk bath we give it before coating and frying it to crispy perfection!
What You'll Need:
- 1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
What To Do:
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add enough water to cover. Add 2 teaspoons salt and soak chicken 20 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper; mix well. Place buttermilk in another shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from water and dip in flour mixture, coating completely. Dip chicken in buttermilk then in flour mixture again, coating all sides.
- In a soup pot over medium-low heat, heat shortening until hot but not smoking. Fry chicken in batches 8 to 10 minutes per side, or until golden and juices run clear. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and serve immediately.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.