Easy Chicken Fricassee
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- COOK TIME
- 1 Hr
One of the few main dishes that First Lady Mary Lincoln could get her husband, President Abe Lincoln, to eat was Chicken Fricassee. So, in salute of one of history's picky eaters, we're offering up a version of this hearty chicken dish that just might win his seal of approval.
What You'll Need:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (2-1/2- to 3-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 (10 ¾-ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped (about 1-1/4 cups)
What To Do:
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown chicken pieces on both sides, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a platter and drain all but 2 tablespoons liquid from pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soup, milk, lemon juice, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Reheat pan drippings over medium-high heat and add onions and carrots; saute 3 to 4 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Return chicken to skillet, pour soup mixture over chicken, and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Serve over cooked rice or noodles.
- Like this chicken recipe? Then you'll love our collection of 14 Tasty Quick and Easy Chicken Recipes!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.