Light Sweet and Sour Chicken
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- COOK TIME
- 25 Min
One of my kitchen assistants loves sweet-and-sour chicken so much that that's what she orders every time she goes out for Chinese food. So when it came time to create a light version, I knew just who could help me capture the authentic flavor. Thanks, Patty!
What You'll Need:
- 2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 to 1¼ pounds total)
- 3 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
What To Do:
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the skillet; set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and green pepper and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Reduce the heat to medium and add the reserved pineapple juice, brown sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce; cook until hot.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch and whisk until smooth. Slowly add to the pineapple juice mixture and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the pineapple chunks and chicken breasts to the skillet; simmer for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no pink remains.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
The next time you make a sandwich, a hamburger, or any other meal that involves slices of bread, try it on Cloud Bread. Cloud Bread is a totally gluten-free, low-carb, low-calorie, and low-fat bread alternative. It's a healthier choice that looks like a fluffy cloud and tastes so good!