Light Sweet and Sour Chicken
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
One of my kitchen assistants loves sweet-and-sour chicken so much that that's what she orders every time she goes out for Chinese food. So when it came time to create a light version, I knew just who could help me capture the authentic flavor. Thanks, Patty!
What You'll Need:
- 2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 to 1¼ pounds total)
- 3 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
What To Do:
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the skillet; set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and green pepper and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Reduce the heat to medium and add the reserved pineapple juice, brown sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce; cook until hot.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch and whisk until smooth. Slowly add to the pineapple juice mixture and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the pineapple chunks and chicken breasts to the skillet; simmer for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no pink remains.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We pan fry our cauliflower in a seasoned mixture of breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese to give it a rich and nutty taste that makes this veggie irresistible. Serve your family our Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower, and you'll be surprised at how fast they'll eat eat it up!