We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
With a slight hint of almond, these coconut cookies, known as macaroons, are sure to be a hit when you have company. Almond Macaroons will melt in your mouth and melt their hearts, too!
What You'll Need:
- 2 (14-ounce) packages sweetened, flaked coconut
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (see Notes)
- 2 dozen whole blanched almonds
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place coconut in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine egg whites and sugar over medium heat. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, just until sugar has dissolved and mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat and mix in almond extract. Pour mixture over coconut; mix well.
- With your hands, squeeze together 1/4-cupfuls of mixture to form slightly rounded mounds. Place mounds 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet, top each with an almond, and bake about 20 minutes, until macaroons begin to color slightly.
- Turn off oven and leave macaroons in oven for 7 to 10 minutes (with oven door closed), until they turn golden.
- If making these for Passover, be sure to use imitation almond extract, rather than pure extract (which isn't a Passover product).
- You can drizzle the macaroons with melted chocolate before serving, if you want. Just melt 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and drizzle over the tops.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.