We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
With a slight hint of almond, these coconut cookies, known as macaroons, are sure to be a hit when you have company. Almond Macaroons will melt in your mouth and melt their hearts, too!
What You'll Need:
- 2 (14-ounce) packages sweetened, flaked coconut
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (see Notes)
- 2 dozen whole blanched almonds
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place coconut in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine egg whites and sugar over medium heat. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, just until sugar has dissolved and mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat and mix in almond extract. Pour mixture over coconut; mix well.
- With your hands, squeeze together 1/4-cupfuls of mixture to form slightly rounded mounds. Place mounds 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet, top each with an almond, and bake about 20 minutes, until macaroons begin to color slightly.
- Turn off oven and leave macaroons in oven for 7 to 10 minutes (with oven door closed), until they turn golden.
- If making these for Passover, be sure to use imitation almond extract, rather than pure extract (which isn't a Passover product).
- You can drizzle the macaroons with melted chocolate before serving, if you want. Just melt 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and drizzle over the tops.