We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- COOK TIME
- 10 Min
Cheese in cookies...? It sounds crazy, but wait till you try these. They're perfect for an easy appetizer or dessert cookie.
What You'll Need:
- 3/4 cup (1½ sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups (1 pound) coarsely grated sharp Cheddar cheese)
- 1/4 cup sugar
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- In a large bowl, with your hands, rub together the butter, flour, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper until smooth and creamy. Add the cheese and knead on a piece of waxed paper for 3 to 4 minutes until smooth and thoroughly blended.
- Divide the dough in half. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/8-inch thickness between two sheets of waxed paper. Cut with a 2-inch round cookie cutter and sprinkle the cookies generously with sugar. Reroll the dough scraps and repeat. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden.
- Remove at once to a wire rack to cool.
Makes about 7 dozen wafers.
Try using Monterey Jack, Swiss, or any other semi-firm cheese. It's best not to substitute margarine for butter in this recipe.