Southwest Breakfast Burritos
Need a great on-the-run breakfast for your family? Then our Southwest Breakfast Burritos are a super portable hot meal that they can enjoy as they race to school or the office. Stuffed with protein-packed eggs, light turkey breakfast sausages, and wrapped in a fiber-rich whole wheat tortilla, you can't go wrong.
What You'll Need:
8 ounces turkey breakfast sausages, casings removed
red or green bell pepper, diced
4 eggs, beaten
4 (8- to 10-inch) whole wheat tortillas, warmed
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
What To Do:
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook sausage over medium heat, breaking into crumbles, until browned and cooked through. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add bell pepper; saute until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Pour eggs over mixture in skillet. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner, forming large soft curds. Continue cooking by pulling, lifting, and folding eggs until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly.
- Spoon egg mixture into center of tortillas, dividing evenly; sprinkle with cheese. Fold in sides of tortillas, then roll up burrito-style.
- Tortillas can be stacked and heated in a microwave oven for about 30 seconds.
- If you prefer, you can lighten this up by using reduced-fat cheese.
This recipe is courtesy of the American Egg Board. For more recipes like this, click here.
05 17 13