English Crispy Fried Fish
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
No Old World cookbook would be complete without this English favorite! So here's the fish part. Now all you have to do is serve it with your favorite French fries, Mate.
What You'll Need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 pounds haddock, cod or grouper fillets, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
What To Do:
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the 1/2 cup oil a little at a time, stirring constantly until the mixture forms a large ball. Gradually add the water, stirring until the dough becomes the consistency of pancake batter. (If you want a thick crust, use less water.)
- In an electric frying pan, heat 1/2-inch oil to 360 degree F. Dip the fish strips in the batter, coating completely, and fry a few strips at a time until golden brown; drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 250 degree F. oven. Add additional oil if needed to keep the original level while cooking the remaining fish strips.
This fish can be served alone, with tartar sauce, or with malt vinegar?that's the real English way. It'll stay crispy in the oven for an hour or two, so it's perfect for those times when you just might have to hold dinner in the oven for a while. If you don't have an electric frying pan, you can make this in a deep-fryer filled with oil as per manufacturer's instructions and fry until fish is golden brown and begins to float.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If your lunch box or afternoon snack could use a little change-of-pace, then you're going to go crazy for these...Crazy Corn Dog Muffins! What's crazy about them? Well, aside from being "crazy good" they're also super easy to make and very portable!
- Potato-Crusted Salmon
- Crabmeat Stuffed Salmon
- Southern Fish and Chips
- Seafood-Stuffed Fish Fillets
- No-Fuss Salmon Casserole
- Fresh Catch Burgers
- Gone Fishin: 45 Easy Fish Recipes for Salmon, Tuna, Shellfish, & More!
- Buttermilk Fish Fillets
- Pan Fried Red Snapper
- Easy Tuna Recipes: 13 Tuna Salad Recipes, Tuna Casserole Recipes, and More