Impress your guests with a beautiful watermelon centerpiece, the perfect way to serve fresh fruit salad at your party, picnic or special occasion. If you've always wanted to learn how to make a watermelon basket, we include step-by-steps for two watermelon basket designs. These fun DIY edible crafts are a super summer activity. With our easy guide, you can make watermelon fruit baskets to dress up any event! Step-by-step instructions on how to make an American Watermelon Basket and a Watermelon Swimming Pool are below.
How to Make an Americana Watermelon Basket
Watermelon fruit baskets make a feabulous centerpiece if you're hosting a party, but they're also fun and decorative as a bring-along, too! This American Watermelon Basket is just the thing for your patriotic picnic, Fourth of July bash, or Labor Day party but, like watermelon, it works as a festive watermelon centerpiece year-round.
- Using an oblong watermelon, slice 1/4 inch off the bottom lengthwise to provide a stable base.
- Use a pencil to draw lines for handle placement and basket opening. Cut the handle first, wide enough to hold stars, then make zigzag cuts with a paring knife all the way through the rind (be careful not to cut through handle base on either side).
- Carefully remove sections, pull out large chunks of flesh, and cut them into 3-inch squares.
- From squares, trim off 3/4-inch-thick slices to use for cutting out stars. To cut stars, use 1-1/2-inch to 3-inch star-shaped cookie cutters.
- Next, cut out 5 large star-shaped pieces from the leftover rind (use a paring knife, if necessary) for the handle. Trim off red flesh and, using toothpick halves, attach to basket handle with white side out.
- Use an ice cream scoop to remove flesh from inside of basket and cut scoops into quarters for the fruit salad. Place in bottom of basket.
- Use a white-fleshed melon, such as ripe honeydew, to cut out white "stripes" for salad. Garnish top of fruit salad with watermelon stars, melon stripes, and blueberries.
How to Make a Watermelon Swimming Pool
Your summer party will be the hit of the season when your guests "dive into" this incredible-looking watermelon fruit basket! With all the goodness of healthy fruit and the eye-catching appeal, you'll make a big splash with this watermelon centerpiece!
Here's the ingredients you'll need:
- 1 oblong-shaped seedless watermelon
- 1 (4-serving-size) package blue gelatin, prepared in a small plastic container according to package directions
- Assorted cut-up fruit pieces
- Beach-themed items for decoration
- Gummy fish for garnish
- Cut a 1/4-inch slice off the bottom of the watermelon to provide a stable base.
- Draw lines in a wave design, with a sharp pencil or thin marker, approximately halfway up and all the way around the watermelon. Cut the watermelon along those lines.
- Scoop out the flesh with an ice cream scoop or large spoon, and reserve for fruit salad.
- Create a water scene by placing the blue gelatin container in the watermelon bowl. Fill in around the "water" with fruit salad cut into fun shapes and balls.
- Arrange small, clean, non-toxic, new, small beach-themed toys and plastic dolls toward the edge of the watermelon bowl to create a beach scene. Garnish the sides with drink umbrellas and plastic palm tree swizzle sticks, and add gummy fish to the top of the salad and gelatin to complete the scene.