It's New Year’s Eve, and if alcohol is part of your celebration, please don’t overdo it…and absolutely do not drink and drive!
We hear that all the time, but it bears repeating, for obvious reasons. For those who stay home and ring in the new year with one glass too many then wake up tomorrow with the dreaded hangover, interestingly, most of the cures handed down over the years are a collection of folk remedies or old wives’ tales.
Here are some home remedies that our viewers have told us help in curing a hangover:
- Fresh Fruit: Fruits contain nutrients and electrolytes that can replenish us when we’re dehydrated and our blood sugar levels are off from having too much alcohol. For some, it helps settle your system.
- Honey: Stir it into tea or take a spoonful straight!
- Peppermint tea is known to be a tummy settler, so why not have it with some of that honey?
- “Hair of the dog,” also known as a Bloody Mary. This may work for the same reason as fresh fruit.
- Anything with fructose might help metabolize alcohol more quickly and ease hangover symptoms.
- Contrary to what many people believe, coffee is not a good choice because it can be dehydrating.
Of course, no matter the power of the folk remedy, why start the New Year off needing any of them? Drink responsibly, or not at all, so that you can look forward to a New Year feeling good enough to enjoy all sorts of..."OOH IT'S SO GOOD!!"