We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This "N'awlins" inspired hearty one pot recipe for Shrimp Gumbo takes advantage of all the down-in-the-Bayou seasonings and flavors. Turn it into a seafood style gumbo by simply alternating the shrimp for other seafood or fish.
What You'll Need:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen okra, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
What To Do:
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper, and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, okra, and water and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink. Serve immediately.
Served over rice or with some crusty bread for dunking and you've got a complete meal. We've got a great recipe for Cheesy Herbed Onion Bread that will be a great go-along with this!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Is there a "secret ingredient" in your favorite meatloaf recipe? There is in ours! Our Secret Ingredient Meatloaf calls for one shortcut ingredient that doesn't just make life easier, but it makes the meatloaf so moist and flavorful, too! Aren't you glad we've let you in on our little secret?