Home-Cooked Spaghetti Sauce
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
A must in every Italian kitchen is a good tomato sauce. With crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped garlic, onion and bell pepper, this one fits the bill. Serve it up with all your favorite pastas, and your whole family will be pleased.
What You'll Need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
What To Do:
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, and green pepper and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion and pepper are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, or until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- For added flavor, add 2 teaspoons dried oregano along with the other ingredients. Since this makes a lot of sauce, be sure to refrigerate (for up to 1 week) or freeze any leftovers in airtight containers.
- For easy Italian recipes you will make again and again, we've compiled this collection of 35 No-Fail Italian Favorites, Plus 7 Classic Sauces you can make at home!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Apple cobbler is one of those inviting desserts that always makes people feel warm and welcome. In our recipe for Apple Cookie Cobbler, we use tart apples that are tossed with cinnamon sugar before they're baked and finished with a crumbly cookie topping. The results are to-die-for, especially if you top each serving with a scoop of ice cream!