Baked Macaroni and Eggplant Neapolitan
Baked Macaroni and Eggplant Neapolitan is like eggplant parmigiana and baked ziti all rolled into one. Every mouthful is pure delight!
What You'll Need:
8 ounces ziti pasta
Vegetable oil for frying
1 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced (see Notes)
1 (28-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, divided
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
What To Do:
- Cook ziti according to package directions; drain.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Cook eggplant, a few slices at a time, until well browned on each side, adding more oil as needed. Drain eggplant on a paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
- Reserve 1 cup spaghetti sauce; combine remaining sauce with cooked ziti. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer half the ziti mixture in prepared baking dish then 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, half the eggplant, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; repeat layers. Top with reserved 1 cup spaghetti sauce, remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella, and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
08 24 12