Cream Puff Ring
- CHILL TIME
- 1 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 50 Min
- READY IN
- 1 Hr 50 Min
Our bottomless version of the famous French dessert known as the Gateau Saint-Honore is easy to whip up right at home. This Cream Puff Ring may look super fancy, but it's actually really easy to make and tastes like a dream!
What You'll Need:
1 cup water
cup (1 stick) butter, cut into quarters
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs at room temperature
1 (4-serving-size) package instant chocolate pudding and pie filling mix
1 cup cold milk
1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring water, butter, and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir quickly with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a ball; remove from heat. Add 1 egg to mixture and beat with the wooden spoon to blend. Add remaining eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When dough is smooth, spoon out 1/4 cup at a time, and place puffs on the outside edge of an ungreased 10-inch pizza pan, forming a ring. Each puff should press against the one next to it so they are all connected.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy. Cool on pizza pan on a wire rack. Using a sharp knife, cut about 1 inch off top of each cream puff; reserve tops. Using your finger, make a small hole in each cream puff.
- In a medium bowl, combine chocolate pudding mix and milk; mix well. Add whipped topping and mix until thoroughly combined. Evenly spoon chocolate mixture into hole of each cream puff. Place tops back on and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
- You can also make these as individual cream puffs. Just spoon the mounds of dough onto a cookie sheet so that the edges are not touching. When finished baking and completely cooled, cut each puff in half horizontally and proceed as above.
- To make a scrumptious chocolate glaze, in a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1/3 cup water, and 1/2 ounce (1/2 square) unsweetened chocolate over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is thickened, bubbly and smooth. Remove from the heat, stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and drizzle over the cream puff ring before refrigerating.
02 16 15