Quick & Easy Potato Recipes: 30 Scrumptious Recipes for Breakfast Potatoes, Potato Side Dishes and More
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Let barley add a hearty peasant flavor to your meal. Beefy Barley is a welcome change-of-pace side dish.
What You'll Need:
- 2 (14-ounce) cans ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 cup barley (not a quick or instant version)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
What To Do:
- In a medium saucepan, bring the beef broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the barley, cumin, and black pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 45 to 50 minutes, or until the barley is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions and peppers until soft and lightly browned; add to the cooked barley. Mix well and serve.
If you're not serving this right away, it can be reheated in the microwave. Or, place it in a 1-1/2-quart casserole dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray, cover, and refrigerate. When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. and heat the covered barley casserole for 20 to 25 minutes, or until completely hot.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We deconstructed one of your favorite sandwiches to bring you this family-sized Philly Cheese Steak Bake. It's got everything you love about a cheese steak in the form of a hot and hearty casserole, including the cheesy sauce and deli-style roast beef.