Quick & Easy Potato Recipes: 30 Scrumptious Recipes for Breakfast Potatoes, Potato Side Dishes and More
Boxty (Irish Potato Griddle Cakes)
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 20 to 24 griddle cakes
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
This authentic version of the Irish potato dish called boxty is like a trip to the Emerald Isle in a skillet. Serve these little potato pancakes with any main dish and enjoy their crispness and great flavor!
What You'll Need:
- 1 pound raw potatoes
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
What To Do:
- Set half of potatoes aside. Cut remaining potatoes into large chunks and place in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain and place in a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher or electric mixer; set aside.
- Grate reserved potatoes and stir into mashed potatoes. Add onion, flour, salt, and pepper; mix until well combined. Stir in egg and milk to form a batter.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
You may need to add additional milk to the batter if it seems too thick. It should be the consistency of thick pancake batter.
For the bonus Champ recipe, click here! For additional recipes along with photos from behind the scenes of the Mr. Food A Taste of Ireland series,click here!
For more information about Ireland, visit www.DiscoverIreland.com.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
With our recipe for 1 Minute Cinnamon Bun you can enjoy a cinnamon bun for breakfast, dessert, or anytime you want! All you need is a microwave, some easy ingredients from your pantry, and your favorite mug. Before you know it, you'll be enjoying a cinnamon bun that's all your own.