Quick & Easy Potato Recipes: 30 Scrumptious Recipes for Breakfast Potatoes, Potato Side Dishes and More
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 20 Cakes
- 5 Min
- COOK TIME
- 4 Min
- READY IN
- 9 Min
What in the world is a Journey Cake? Why, it's one of our favorite side dish recipes with rice, of course! If you've ever tried potato pancakes or corn cakes, then you're going to love this recipe for rice cakes. Legend has it, these cakes would help sustain travelers while they journeyed for long distances, so if you're getting ready to go somewhere, make sure you pack a few of these along!
What You'll Need:
- 2 cups cold, cooked basmati or long-grain rice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Peanut oil
What To Do:
- Stir together all ingredients except oil in a large bowl.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/4-inch into a large heavy skillet; heat to 350 degrees.
- Drop batter by 1/4-cupfuls into hot oil; fry cakes, in batches, 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on wire racks over paper towels. Serve immediately.
Makes 20 cakes.
Journey cakes are thought to be an early version of road food. Field workers travelers would tuck several cakes into their pockets for a simple meal on-the-go.