So many people claim these as their own! Well, that doesn't really matter, since your taste buds and belly will be very happy to claim them, too!
What To Do:
- Coarsely grate the potatoes and put them and the onion in a strainer. Press down on them with the back of a large spoon to extract excess moisture. (If they're still watery, wrap them in a clean dishtowel and squeeze to extract moisture.)
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, and egg; mix well. Gradually add the flour and baking powder, mixing well, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in a large heavy skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, add batter to the hot oil, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- Fry, turning halfway through the grilling once, until the pancakes are golden on both sides. (If you like them crisper, fry until they're flecked with brown.)
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Makes 5 to 6 large pancakes.
Sometimes I like to use bread crumbs or matzo meal (or a combination) instead of flour.