Tex-Mex Spiral Potatoes
- COOK TIME
- 35 Min
If you want a side dish with the big flavor of Texas, then Tex-Mex Potato Spirals are just what you're looking for!
What You'll Need:
4 large Idaho potatoes
cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
teaspoon black pepper
cup barbecue sauce
cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
cup low fat finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 chopped scallions
What To Do:
- Slice the round bottoms off the potatoes so they sit flat. Place 2 wooden spoons parallel to each other and place a potato lengthwise between the handles. Make 8 crosswise cuts three-quarters of the way through the potato, stopping each time the knife hits the spoon handles. Repeat with the remaining potatoes. Rinse the potatoes thoroughly.
- Place the potatoes on a microwaveable plate. Cook on high about 7 minutes. Turn the potatoes over and microwave on high 7 more minutes, or until slightly soft.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully brush the outside of the potatoes with oil, reserving the remaining oil for the topping. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Place potatoes in a baking dish, then drizzle with barbecue sauce, letting the sauce drip between the slices.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese, garlic powder, and remaining olive oil. Top each potato with bread crumb mixture.
- Bake potatoes about 20 minutes, or until soft in the center and topping is crispy and brown. Top with chopped scallion.
Feel free to use nonfat Cheddar cheese if you prefer.
01 19 15