Meaty Vegetable and Rice Stuffed Peppers
Whet your appetite for Mexican flavors by digging into this filling meal of Meaty Vegetable and Rice Stuffed Peppers. For added eye appeal, think of the Mexican flag and use red and green bell peppers.
What You'll Need:
6 medium-sized red or green bell peppers
pound ground chuck
1 (10-ounce) package frozen seasoning blend
1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
1 (3-1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag rice, uncooked
cups beef broth
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
1 (26-ounce) jar fire-roasted tomato-and-garlic pasta sauce
What To Do:
- Slice tops off peppers; remove seeds and veins. Rinse and drain peppers; stand them upright on a large, round microwave-safe platter. Microwave at HIGH 4 minutes, or until barely crisp-tender. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook beef and next 3 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until the beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and return beef mixture to skillet.
- Cut top off bag of rice; stir rice into beef mixture, discarding bag. Stir in beef broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup beef mixture into each pepper. Place peppers in a single layer in a 7-quart oval slow cooker. Spoon pasta sauce over peppers.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting 2 hours, or until peppers are tender. Spinrkle peppers with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Cover and cook on LOW setting 5 more minutes, or until cheese melts.
This recipe is from The Best of Mr. Food Cookbook Series, Copyright Oxmoor House, Inc. If you would like more recipes like this, click here.
04 27 13