Chunky Split Pea Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 8 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 8 Hr
- READY IN
- 16 Hr
Split Pea soup is always a favorite and this slow cooker Chunky Split Pea Soup is no exception. It feels and tastes so good going down... it's comfort in every bite!
What You'll Need:
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried split peas
- 5 large carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 celery stalks, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ham base (See Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cups flavored croutons
What To Do:
- Place peas in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover with water 2-inches above peas; let soak 8 hours (see Note). Drain and rinse; return peas to slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients except croutons to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting 8 hours or until peas are tender and soup is thick. Remove and discard bay leaf. Ladle into individual bowls, top evenly with croutons, and serve immediately.
- Look for ham base in the supermarket near the bouillon.
- Soak the peas the night before, and they'll be ready for the slow cooker the next morning.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
German Potato Salad isn't creamy like some of the traditional American potato salads you may be used to, but that doesn't mean it isn't as delicious! Our German Potato Salad has a sweet vinegary base and includes tasty ingredients like bacon, onion and fresh parsley.