Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Nothing soothes the soul as much as a certain old favorite... can you guess which favorite we're referring to? You guessed it- Slow Cooker French Onion Soup! This one is simple and delicious- a winner in more ways than one!
What You'll Need:
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 sweet onions, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (10-1/2-ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or water
- 1 cup restaurant-style croutons
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
What To Do:
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Reserve bacon for another use.
- Combine drippings, melted butter, and next 3 ingredients in a 3- or 3-1/2-quart slow cooker. Stir well to coat onions.
- Cover and cook on HIGH setting 4 hours. Stir in consommè and wine; cover and cook on HIGH setting 15 more minutes or just until heated. Ladle soup into bowls; top each serving with 1/4 cup croutons and 1 slice cheese.
For this recipe, an oval-shaped slow cooker helps to caramelize the onions more evenly because there's more surface area for the onions to cook. However, the resulting soup is fantastic made in a round slow cooker, too. You can also cook the soup on LOW setting for 8 hours, but the onions won't caramelize as much.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Cupid's Love Pies are a great way to share the love with friends and family, especially when they're made with lots of love. Bake these heart-shaped hand pies, filled with creamy chocolate hazelnut and strawberry jam, and get ready to receive lots of hugs and kisses!