Amish Pickled Beets
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 8 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 1 Hr 10 Min
- READY IN
- 9 Hr 10 Min
The great thing about beets is they're available all year long, and while they are quite versatile, pickling them is the most popular way to cook this colorful veggie. So grab a pot, boil some water, and start slicing those beets!
What You'll Need:
- 10 fresh red beets
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
What To Do:
Cut the leafy tops off the beet stems, leaving 2 inches of stem. In a large saucepan, place beets in enough water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook 1 hour, or until fork-tender.
Drain beets, allow to cool slightly, then slip off the skins and cut into 1/4-inch slices; discard remaining stems. Return sliced beets to the pot and add remaining salt, the sugar, cider vinegar, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Transfer to a glass serving dish, cover, and chill overnight before serving.
Leaving part of the stems on helps the beets keep their nice rich color. And because that color can stain your hands, you may want to wear kitchen gloves when handling the beets.
- We've got some other great recipes with beets for you to try! Take a look at our Un-Beet-Able Cake and Rainbow Mashed Potatoes -- we hope you'll agree they can't be...beat! (Sorry!)
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Fried Cabbage
- Creamed Cabbage
- Easy Eggplant Recipes: 18 Simple Recipes with Eggplant
- Lucky Cabbage and Noodles
- Amish Broccoli Bake
- Incredibly Easy Broccoli Recipes: 28 Broccoli Casserole Recipes, Side Dishes, and More
- Buttery Cabbage
- Refrigerator Cucumber Pickles
- Homemade Microwave Pickles
- Aunt Nellie's Cabbage Fritters