Crispy Buttermilk Onion Rings
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 30 Min
- COOK TIME
- 5 Min
- READY IN
- 35 Min
Ever wonder how the restaurants make their onion rings so crispy-special? With our recipe for Crispy Buttermilk Onion Rings, you can too! Now, all you need to figure out is what you'll be dipping 'em into!
What You'll Need:
- 3 or 4 Spanish-type onions
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
What To Do:
- Peel onions and cut into 1/3-inch slices; separate into rings.
- Pour buttermilk into large shallow dish; add onion rings and soak for 30 minutes.
- In a large shallow dish, combine flour, water, baking powder, salt, egg, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper; stir until smooth.
- In a skillet, heat 1-inch of oil for frying on medium-high heat. Remove onion rings from buttermilk and dip into flour mixture; place in skillet and fry in hot oil until golden brown, turning over to brown as necessary. Drain onion rings on paper towels.
- If your onions are small, use 4. These rings come out crunchiest when made in an electric skillet, because it's easier to keep the oil at a consistent temperature.
- Looking for more recipes with buttermilk? Our Best Buttermilk Recipes: 12 Recipes with Buttermilk can help you!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.