Braised Beef with Barley
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We've got a beef and barley recipe that you're going to love--and it's not a soup! That's right! Instead, we're giving you a two-step method to braise a boneless chuck roast, and then, we add in some oh-so-yum mushrooms and barley! It's packed full of the same beef and barley soup flavor, but it's also the perfect one-pot dinner to bring comfort right to the table.
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (3-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 (9-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
What to Do
- In a soup pot over medium heat, heat oil until hot. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper.
- Sear 4 to 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove roast to a platter.
- Add onion and garlic to pot. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add broth, tarragon, and bay leaf, then return roast to pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover tightly, and simmer 1-1/2 hours. Stir in barley and mushrooms, cover, and cook 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Remove roast from pot and keep warm. Remove and discard bay leaf then add peas and sour cream to barley mixture, stirring constantly over low heat just until heated through. Carve roast and serve with barley mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Want more traditional beef and barley soups? Then try our Amish Beef Barley Soup or our Deli-Style Beef Barley Soup! It's sure to satisfy your craving!
- Get ready some comfort food the whole family will love! Serve up our Award-Winning Mac 'n' Cheese and you'll be the MVP (that's most valuable player) come dinnertime! And, for a side that you won't be able to resist, whip up our Corn and Broccoli Casserole! For even more comforting favorites, check out our collection of Comfort Food Recipes!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
For more comfort food favorites, download our free eCookbook today!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 609
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 22g 34 %
- Saturated Fat 8.7g 44 %
- Trans Fat 0.8g 0 %
- Protein 356g 713 %
- Cholesterol 193mg 64 %
- Sodium 889mg 37 %
- Total Carbohydrates 36g 12 %
- Dietary Fiber 7.9g 32 %
- Sugars 4.4g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This Easter Egg Bread recipe is sure to become an Easter tradition for years to come! This eye-catching Easter bread recipe is a pull-apart sweet bread that has colorful Easter eggs baked right in. It's such a sweet and colorful dessert, no one will be able to resist pulling off a piece of this Easter bread recipe. Kids and adults alike will love tearing off a piece and enjoying this sweet, festive sweet bread recipe.