Country Bumpkin Fried Steak
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Country Bumpkin Fried Steak is a down-home old-fashioned favorite in the South, Midwest, and Southwest. No matter where you live, this easy skillet meal has an extra-special country-fried topping that's sure to win raves at your dinner table!
What You'll Need
- 4 beef cubed steaks, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
What to Do
- Season steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- Place buttermilk in a shallow dish. Place cornmeal in another shallow dish. Dip steaks in buttermilk then in cornmeal, coating completely.
- In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat shortening until hot but not smoking. Add steaks in batches and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through and coating is golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add 3 tablespoons flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper to skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until flour is browned, stirring constantly. Add milk and stir until gravy is thickened. Serve steaks topped with gravy.
Want even more "Quick & Easy" dinner recipes? Check out our free eCookbook, Fuss-Free Meals: 35 Simple Skillet Recipes and One-Pot Recipes!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 675
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39g 61 %
- Saturated Fat 16g 80 %
- Trans Fat 0.1g 0 %
- Protein 34g 68 %
- Cholesterol 106mg 35 %
- Sodium 760mg 32 %
- Total Carbohydrates 45g 15 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.9g 12 %
- Sugars 6.9g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We've come up with a modern day way to serve up a classic dessert, and we're sure you're going to love it! Our Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake features everything you love about Boston Cream Pie, including yummy yellow cake, creamy filling, and a layer of homemade chocolate glaze. This easy poke cake will quickly become one of your favorites!