Chocolate Groom's Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The tradition of a groom's cake began in Victorian England then made its way to the U.S., where it's a popular cake at many weddings. Our decadent Chocolate Groom's Cake recipe will make any newlywed couple feel special.
What You'll Need:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
FROSTING (see Notes):
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 (9-inch) baking pans with cooking spray and dust with flour.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in water and cocoa powder. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl; allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine raisins, dried cranberries, and 1 teaspoon flour; toss until evenly coated then set aside.
- Beat remaining cake ingredients, including 2 cups flour, into chocolate mixture. Gently fold in dried fruit then pour into baking pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes then remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat all frosting ingredients until smooth. Place 1 cake layer on plate and frost top only. Place remaining cake layer on top then frost entire cake.
- You can always substitute canned chocolate butter cream frosting for the homemade to make it a little easier.
- For an extra fancy touch, garnish this with shaved chocolate.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Calories 685
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 27g 41 %
- Saturated Fat 16g 82 %
- Trans Fat 0.9g 0 %
- Protein 5.0g 10 %
- Cholesterol 99mg 33 %
- Sodium 427mg 18 %
- Total Carbohydrates 112g 37 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.5g 10 %
- Sugars 90g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You don't need a fancy rotisserie to make the best roasted chicken - all you need is a Bundt pan! Our Herb Roasted Bundt Pan Chicken is so moist and flavorful, you'll wonder why you've never tried roasting your chicken like this before. (We just love how the chicken picks up the flavors from the herbs and wine in the pan!)