German Wave Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr 30 Min
- COOK TIME
- 25 Min
Donauwellen is a classic German dessert that's often called the "German Wave Cake." That's because the layers in this cake look like the waves of the Danube river. Our version starts off with a box of cake mix, to make it really easy, and features all of the classic flavors, including chocolate, vanilla, cherries, and pudding.
What You'll Need
- 1 (15-1/4-ounce) package vanilla cake mix
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can dark pitted cherries, drained well
- 2 (4-serving size) packages cook and serve vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) can chocolate frosting
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare batter according to package directions. Place half the batter in a medium bowl and add cocoa powder; mix well. Pour vanilla batter into baking dish, then slowly pour chocolate batter over vanilla batter, covering entire surface. Place cherries on top of batter and press down into batter.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine pudding mix and milk; bring to a boil and cook until thickened, whisking constantly. Pour pudding into a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure to press plastic wrap directly onto pudding to prevent a coating from forming on top of pudding. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add butter to cooled pudding and mix well. Spread pudding evenly over cake and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place frosting in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave 20 to 25 seconds, or just until frosting is pourable. Pour frosting evenly over pudding and using a knife or fork, make a wave design. Refrigerate 2 hours, or until ready to serve.
If you love our German Wave Cake, then you'll love this collection of Traditional German Recipes!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Calories 362
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15g 23 %
- Saturated Fat 7.3g 37 %
- Trans Fat 0.3g 0 %
- Protein 3.2g 6 %
- Cholesterol 20mg 7 %
- Sodium 381mg 16 %
- Total Carbohydrates 55g 18 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.4g 6 %
- Sugars 41g 0 %