Low Fat Carrot Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
These days, everybody wants a low fat cake recipe. Well, this one does it deliciously!
What You'll Need
- 4 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup prune puree or prepared prune butter
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded or flaked coconut
What to Do
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine carrots, sugar, pineapple, prune puree, egg whites, and vanilla. Stir to blend thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients except coconut. Mix completely. Gently stir in coconut, then spread batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a rack, then cut into squares.
Using prune puree or prepared prune butter in place of oil allows us to enjoy baked goods that are low in fat, yet are rich, moist, and flavorful. Use it in a direct one-to-one substitution for butter, margarine, or oil in darker baked goods. Prune puree and prune butter are available ready to use (found in the jam & jelly or baking section of your supermarket), or you can make your own puree by combining 1-1/2 cups (8 ounces) pitted prunes and 6 tablespoons water in the container of a food processor; pulse on and off until the mixture is smooth. It makes 1 cup.
- If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our free eBook, Classic Cakes: 24 Easy Cake Recipes to Enjoy Year-Round!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
The Ultimate Hero Burger is going to be your new favorite ground beef recipe, and we know it will be a hit this Memorial Day Weekend! This take on this classic burger recipe is our juciest and most flavorful yet. Friends and family will be crowding around the grill, clamoring for their burger patty!