Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 30 Min
- COOK TIME
- 45 Min
What's ooey and gooey and full of creamy, buttery flavor? Our Ooey Gooey Butter Cake recipe, of course! This gooey butter cake recipe is drop-everything delicious: when they see you set this butter cake out, they're going to drop everything and run for a piece! And the best part? You don't have to make this gooey butter cake from scratch, because our recipe comes with a shortcut! Who knew you could make such a delicious version of Missouri gooey butter cake right in your own kitchen?
What You'll Need
- 1 (16.5-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, melted, divided
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16-ounce) package confectioners' sugar
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat cake mix, 1/2 cup butter, and 1 egg. Lightly press mixture into baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, the remaining eggs, the vanilla, and remaining butter. Slowly beat in confectioners' sugar until thoroughly mixed. Spread mixture over batter.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden on top. Make sure not to overbake; center should be a little gooey.
- We've made this Ooey Gooey Butter Cake simple as can be with the addition of cake mix! And we've got tons more cake mix recipes in our free recipe collection of 33 To-Die-For Recipes with Cake Mix.
- Wanna have a simple buttery treat on hand? Whip up a batch of our Butter Cookies for your cookie jar. Or try out our Butter Pecan Cake!
- Did You Know? Gooey butter cake is a true St. Louis, Missouri tradition! According to legend, the first gooey butter cake came from a German baker in the 1930's who had a bit of a mix-up with how much of each ingredient to use. Well, you can call it a happy accident! Good thing for us, 'cause this delicious and rich-tasting cake managed to make its way to St. Louis in the 1940's. Nowadays, it's almost a sin to visit St. Louis without getting a taste of their gooey butter cake, and many places have even started to serve other tasty variations of this cake. Luckily, you don't have to wait until your next trip to get a taste, 'cause our recipe is just as good! And we've even got a yummy variation for you to try. Our Maple-Bacon Ooey Gooey Butter Cake is fantastic!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Calories 401
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19g 29 %
- Saturated Fat 9.6g 48 %
- Trans Fat 0.4g 0 %
- Protein 3.6g 7 %
- Cholesterol 79mg 26 %
- Sodium 349mg 15 %
- Total Carbohydrates 55g 18 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.3g 1 %
- Sugars 44g 0 %
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This recipe was inspired by Elvis, who had a love for all things peanut butter, bananas, and bacon! We may not be able to perform rock 'n' roll like our good friend, Terry Buchwald, but our Peanut Butter Banana French Toast Bake is our way of paying tribute to the King.