The Ultimate Hummingbird Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you've never tried baking a southern-style Hummingbird Cake, are you ever in for a double treat when you make our version of The Ultimate Hummingbird Cake. Our Test Kitchen has created a decadent, creamy filling to sandwich between our special recipe for a moist and golden cake.
What You'll Need:
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (4-serving-size) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (6-ounce) jar red maraschino cherries, well drained and chopped, with 1 tablespoon reserved for garnish
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans, with 2 tablespoons reserved for garnish
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 (8-inch) round baking pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cake and pudding mixes, oil, water, eggs, banana, and cinnamon. Beat with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined. Pour mixture into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. When cool, slice cakes horizontally in half, making 4 layers.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in whipped topping, cherries, pineapple, and pecans.
- Place 1 cake layer on platter and evenly spread one-quarter of cream cheese mixture on top. Repeat with remaining cake layers and finish with cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with reserved cherries and pecans.
- Our Boiled Custard is filled with southern hospitality -- just give it a try, y'all!
- Did you know? This recipe was one of best-loved recipes of 2012! Click here to find out what else made the list.
- Interested in more great desserts like our Ultimate Hummingbird Cake recipe? Then be sure to check out our free eCookbook, Classic Cakes: 24 Easy Cake Recipes to Make Year-Round.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
When you're craving something fresh-tasting and satisfying, fill your plate up with our Italian Spring Fling Pasta. This angel hair pasta dish features some great springtime flavors. One whiff of this is all it'll take to get your family to the dinner table.
- Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Chocolate Dessert Lasagna
- Banana Pudding Freezer Cake
- Irish Cream Cake
- Homemade Frosting Recipes: 18 Frosting Recipes for Cakes, Cupcakes, and More
- 28 Best Bundt Cake Recipes
- Cake Mix Recipes: 39 To-Die-For Recipes with Cake Mix
- Cold Fudge Cake
- Texas Sheet Cake
- French Bakery Eclair Cake