Sweet Tea Fried Chicken
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 8 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 55 Min
When Lee Brian Schrager shared his recipe for Sweet Tea Fried Chicken we couldn't wait to get a taste! Just one bite of a crispy drumstick and everyone agreed... this chicken sure is flavorful!
What You'll Need
- MARINADE (BRINE)
- 1 quart very strong brewed tea (we used Lipton)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 large lemons, quartered
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 quart ice water
- 8 chicken legs and thighs (bone-in and skin-on)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups masa harina (corn meal flour)
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Vegetable oil for frying
What to Do
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the tea, sugar, 1/2 cup kosher salt, lemon quarters, and zest. Simmer mixture about 5 minutes, or until salt and sugar dissolve. Remove from heat, add the ice water, allow marinade to cool, then add chicken. Refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours, then drain chicken and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour with the masa harina, Old Bay seasoning, chili powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper. In another large bowl, beat eggs with buttermilk. Place remaining flour in third bowl.
- Roll chicken in plain flour, then buttermilk mixture, then seasoned flour mixture. Arrange chicken pieces in a single layer on a plate or baking sheet. Set aside at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Fill a large pot halfway with oil and heat to 300 degrees F. Working in batches, add chicken and cook 22 to 24 minutes, or until golden and juices run clear. Drain chicken on wire rack and let rest at least 10 minutes. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
- This recipe is adapted from the Fried and True Cookbook.
- Check out this amazing "Hash Brown Casserole" for a great go-along!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 1,869
- Calories from Fat 731
- Total Fat 81g 125 %
- Saturated Fat 22g 108 %
- Trans Fat 0.3g 0 %
- Protein 90g 180 %
- Cholesterol 569mg 190 %
- Sodium 12,035mg 501 %
- Total Carbohydrates 206g 69 %
- Dietary Fiber 20g 79 %
- Sugars 82g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our Pull-Apart Cheese Bread is great for a movie night at home with some friends and family. That's 'cause this pull-apart bread is made with delicious and irresistible ingredients, like two kinds of melted cheese and yummy buttermilk biscuits. Just don't blame us if this recipe steals the show!