Edible Tree Ornaments
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
No Christmas party is complete without a tray of cutout cookies shaped like Christmas trees, gingerbread people, stars, angels, and bells. And the best part about these cookies is that they can be used as ornaments, too.
What You'll Need:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
What To Do:
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat 1 to 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and beat 2 minutes, or until well blended. Form dough into a ball; cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Divide dough into two pieces and return one to the refrigerator.
- On a lightly floured work surface, using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out assorted Christmas shapes and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden around the edges. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
- Before baking, use a straw to make a hole at the top of each cookie that you plan to hang up. (That’s where you’ll thread them with ribbon for hanging on the tree.) Then sprinkle them with colored sugar or sprinkles.
- If you'd like, frost the cooled cookies with a glaze made of 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, and red or green food color.
For more Christmas recipes like this one, order your very own copy of Mr. Food Christmas Made Easy.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This colonial-style brown bread is actually cooked inside of a can and it's a New England favorite! Our Boston Brown Bread is moist and flavorful on its own, but it's even better when you slather on some butter or cream cheese right before serving!