We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Our salute to the classic creamy snack cakes that became popular in the '60s, is real a crowd-pleaser. Bake a batch of our Twinkie Cupcakes that put a new spin on this old favorite.
What You'll Need:
- 1 (15.25 oz) package yellow cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 16 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites, water, vanilla, and lemon peel; mix well. Divide mixture equally into muffins cups.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Let cool. Using an apple corer or paring knife, cut a hole in center of each cupcake, being sure not to cut all the way through to bottom; remove center.
- To make the frosting, in another large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat confectioners' sugar and shortening until creamy, then beat in the heavy cream until smooth and fluffy.
- Place frosting in a pastry bag or large resealable plastic bag with the corner snipped off. Fill cupcake holes evenly with frosting, then continue to pipe frosting on top of cupcake.
These taste better at room temperature, so if they've been refrigerated, allow them to return to room temperature before serving.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out our free eCookbook, Fast & Fun Cupcakes: 18 Best Cupcake Recipes.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Mashed potatoes always offer stick-to-your-ribs comfort, and our Mashed Potato Casserole is a new twist on a family favorite side dish recipe. This potato casserole is extra-rich and creamy thanks to the addition of cream cheese. Your spuds will never be duds if you make 'em this way!