How to Poach an Egg
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We’ve all been to fancy restaurants where they serve poached eggs before. Restaurant-quality poached eggs have runny yolks that spill out like liquid gold when you dig into them, all wrapped up in tender egg whites. But poached eggs aren’t just for the high-class cafes anymore! In this video, Howard shows us how to make poached eggs with our very own tried-and-true Test Kitchen method. So, gather up your favorite skillet, fresh eggs, and get ready to learn how to poach an egg!
How to Poach an Egg
- Make sure that the eggs are really fresh. In fresh eggs, the whites tend to stay closer to the yolk, giving you better results.
- Fill a skillet or saucepan with 3-4 inches of water and bring it to a simmer, just make sure it isn’t at a rolling boil.
- Slowly add one egg at a time into the water. We suggest doing this by cracking them into a small ramekin or cup first, then pouring the egg into the water. (Doing it this way will avoid having your egg spread out and break up inside the water!)
- After your eggs cook for a few minutes, and that time will vary based on how loose or firm you like your yolks, remove them with a slotted spoon. It’s really important to place the spoon on a paper towel just for a second so that the excess water can drain off.
- What you end up with is a perfectly poached egg! Now all you need is a toasted English muffin, some Canadian bacon, and you have the beginning of eggs benedict!
Now that you've watched our video and read our tips on how to poach an egg, why not try your hand at making these easy recipes with poached eggs?
Our easy brunch-worthy Garden Vegetable Hash, topped with poached eggs, will make any special gathering "rise and shine" to the occasion!
What separates a fancy restaurant chef from the rest of us? Nothing, when it comes to this easy recipe for the classic egg dish Eggs Benedict! In no time, you'll be whipping up our Easy Eggs Benedict for breakfast or brunch like a pro!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Now that you know how to make poached eggs, how about putting together a whole brunch menu with the tasty recipes in...
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This recipe was inspired by Elvis, who had a love for all things peanut butter, bananas, and bacon! We may not be able to perform rock 'n' roll like our good friend, Terry Buchwald, but our Peanut Butter Banana French Toast Bake is our way of paying tribute to the King.