George Washington's Corn Cakes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Did you know that the first President of the United States, George Washington, began his morning routine with a breakfast that included the most incredible corn cakes? We decided to recreate his morning favorite, so you can make them for your family. George Washington's Corn Cakes feature the perfect combo of savory and sweet, and they go well with anything!
What You'll Need
- 2 cups yellow self-rising cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus extra for cooking
- Honey for garnish
- Melted butter for garnish
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, and salt; mix well. Stir in eggs, buttermilk, water, and 2 tablespoons oil until combined.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil, then pour 1/8 cup batter per pancake on griddle. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until bubbles start to form on top of each pancake. Flip pancakes and cook 1 more minute, or until golden.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as needed. Drizzle with honey and butter before serving.
The nutrition information provided does not include any additional oil used for cooking as this amount may vary. It does include the 2 tablespoons of oil used in the batter. If tracking nutrition, please be sure to include any additional oil used for cooking in your calculations.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 329
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 13g 20 %
- Saturated Fat 2.9g 14 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 9.3g 19 %
- Cholesterol 100mg 33 %
- Sodium 1,180mg 49 %
- Total Carbohydrates 46g 15 %
- Dietary Fiber 4.1g 16 %
- Sugars 2.3g 0 %