Chicken and Dumplings
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Why is this one of our favorite chicken soups? Maybe because of the homemade dumplings that are swimming in it. Chicken and Dumplings is a hearty soup that you can enjoy as a meal-starter or a main dish.
What You'll Need:
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups biscuit baking mix (see Note)
- 2/3 cup milk (see Note)
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
What To Do:
Coat a soup pot with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add celery and carrots; saute 6 minutes, or until tender. Stir in broth, poultry seasoning, and pepper; bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together biscuit mix and milk until blended. Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; roll or pat dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 1- x 3-inch strips.
- Drop strips one at a time into boiling broth. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until dumplings are cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and stir until heated through, 3 to 4 additional minutes. Serve immediately.
You can lighten up this Southern classic without sacrificing taste. Substitute low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, reduced-fat biscuit baking mix, and fat-free milk for their regular counterparts.
- Want even more tasty soups and stews? Check out our free eCookbook, Comfort Food for the Soul: 40 of Our Best Stews and Easy Soup Recipes!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our recipe for a one-pot Classic Chicken Fricassee will make you feel good through and through. It's made to taste just like the kind you grew up eating, featuring yummy veggies like celery, onion, carrots, and mushrooms. We love it over curly noodles!