Automat-Style Coconut Cream Pie
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
Our from scratch Automat-Style Coconut Cream Pie will quickly become a favorite dessert, and bring back memories for those who grew up loving it! It's whipped, light, and full of that shredded coco-nutty goodness we all love.
What You'll Need
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 (9-inch) prepared graham cracker pie crust
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
What to Do
In a medium bowl, mix egg yolk, sugar, flour, and salt with a spoon; set aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat milk over medium-high heat, but do not boil. Add 1/2 cup heated milk to egg yolk mixture and whisk until most lumps are out. Slowly add egg yolk mixture to remaining heated milk in saucepan; reduce heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add butter and vanilla; stir until well mixed.
Remove from heat and stir in coconut. Pour into pie crust.
- Chill at least 2 hours, or until set. Top with whipped topping just before serving.
If desired, top the pie with 2 tablespoons toasted coconut. To toast shredded coconut, spread it on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden. Watch carefully so it won't burn.
- We just love our nostalgia desserts! Here's another one for you to go crazy over: Lemon Meringue Pie!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 438
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24g 37 %
- Saturated Fat 14g 70 %
- Trans Fat 0.2g 0 %
- Protein 6.2g 12 %
- Cholesterol 58mg 19 %
- Sodium 378mg 16 %
- Total Carbohydrates 51g 17 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.6g 6 %
- Sugars 38g 0 %