We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Draw your gang to the table with our easy Amish-style Shoofly Pie recipe. This sweet pie, with its melt-in-your mouth crust and gooey molasses filling, is a classic homestyle Amish dessert that never goes out of style.
What You'll Need:
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place pie crust in a shallow 9-inch pie plate and flute the edges.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, butter, and salt; mix well and reserve 1 cup mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, molasses, and cold water; mix gently and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix hot water and baking soda and stir into molasses mixture. Stir molasses mixture into flour mixture and pour into pie shell. Top with reserved flour mixture.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Pie will firm up as it cools. Cool completely before cutting.
- Did you know there are two versions of traditional Shoofly Pie? A wet-bottom version and a dry-bottom version. This is a Wet-Bottom Shoofly Pie, which means that the top bakes up more like a coffee cake while the bottom has a sticky, gooey consistency.
- Shoofly Pie got its name from the old story that Amish bakers were constantly "shoo-ing" away flies that were attracted to the sweet molasses smell.
- For more tasty Amish dessert options, check out our collection of Amish dessert recipes like this simple version of Whoopie Pies.
- If you'd like more information on Pennsylvania Dutch country, click here or, for a great place to check out more tasty recipes, visit Kitchen Kettle Village.
Did You Know?
Shoofly pie is a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch dessert. Ever wonder why it's called shoofly pie? The smell of sweet molasses was said to attract flies that would need to be "shooed" away! Variations of this recipe include Montgomery pie and chess pie. Sometimes the consistency is compared to that of a cake, making this a cake-pie hybrid!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
When you're craving something fresh-tasting and satisfying, fill your plate up with our Italian Spring Fling Pasta. This angel hair pasta dish features some great springtime flavors. One whiff of this is all it'll take to get your family to the dinner table.
- Vanilla Cream Pie
- "Easy as Pie" Recipes: 40 Chocolate Pie Recipes, Fruit Pie Recipes & More
- Classic Deep Dish Apple Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Easy Pie Recipes: 76 Best Pie Recipes, Plus 5 Homemade Pie Crusts
- Easy Strawberry Pie
- Two-Minute Hawaiian Pie
- Fried Chocolate Hand Pies
- Cinnamon Bun Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie